Mock Trial Diversity Initiative
Goal and Purpose
The Mock Trial Diversity Initiative (MTDI) began in the summer of 2021 to retain, expand, and diversify participating schools into the Indiana Mock Trial program by reducing financial and systemic barriers to participation.
The program focuses on schools with a large population of non-white and under-resourced students.
The Indiana Bar Foundation will partner with MTDI schools to offer:
- Grants to fund costs associated with Mock Trial, including but not limited to: teacher stipends, transportation, food, business clothing, supplies, registration fee, lodging, sub pay, and technology.
- Grants begin at $2,500 with additional funding for those advancing to the state competition
- Training at Introduction to Mock Trial Workshops
- Professional Developments are scheduled in Gary, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, and Evansville in the Fall 2022 (see professional development page for details and registration)
- Resources for teachers and students to learn mock trial, including introduction videos, graphic organizers, lesson plans, standards alignment document, past mock trial cases, annotated video of a mock trial
- Local Legal Advisor Assistance through partnerships with Indiana law firms
Schools that have a student population of at least 40% non-white and 40% free/reduced lunch are eligible to participate as a MTDI school.
Note: The Indiana Bar Foundation has used data available from the Indiana Department of Education for its stats. Schools that do not have their demographic data publicly available on the Indiana Department of Education website or are close to these metric points should still apply and have a conversation with Tim Kalgreen regarding your circumstances.
To be a part of the Mock Trial Diversity Initiative, please complete our application form. The application includes:
- Teacher name, school name, address, phone
- Download principal affirmation
- Budget (sample budget included)
Application deadline is December 31, 2022.
Any questions or concerns with the application can be directed to Tim Kalgreen.
Sponsors and Partners
The Indiana Bar Foundation is proud to partner with these law firms and organizations for the Mock Trial Diversity Initiative